Vlogging is an increasingly popular genre, and it doesn’t seem to be losing momentum. That’s why if you want to be a successful vlogger in 2021, you need to find the right equipment. This guide will help you find the best vlogging camera and accessories, whether you’re looking to get started in the filmmaking journey or want to take your vlogs to the next level.
We will guide you through:
- What to look for in a vlogging camera
- How your vlogging style affects your camera needs
- Best cheap vlogging camera for beginners
- Get better with intermediate vlogging cameras
- Stay pro with the best vlogging cameras on the market
- Must-have accessories
What to look for in a vlogging camera
There are tons of camera specs to consider, and they might seem overwhelming if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Generally speaking, you need a camera that:
- Is lightweight, so it doesn’t slow you down or tire you out,
- Comes with a flip-out screen so you can constantly keep track of what you’re filming,
- Has good image quality, shooting at least in full HD, and possibly up to 4K,
- Has an external mic port because audio can make or break your videos.
Cameras with these qualities are a great starting point for any vlogger. But your style and purpose seriously affect your needs too.
What’s your vlogging style? Different cameras based on your purpose
Are you a travel vlogger, taking your followers with you on a new adventure every day? Then you need an extra lightweight and durable camera that can keep up with you. Mirrorless cameras are often your best choice. They’re both portable and versatile, with interchangeable lenses, often one step ahead of compact cameras. For even more extreme uses, action cameras might be the better choice. They’re durable and pocket-sized, although you might have to compromise image quality.
Image stabilization is also important if you’re shooting outdoors or simply move around a lot. Today’s cameras often have mind-blowing inbuilt stabilization – otherwise, you might want to invest in a gimbal or tripod to minimize camera shake.
If you vlog from home, the weight of your gear might be less of an issue. If you’re a daily vlogger, or perhaps you review beauty, fitness, or fashion products, autofocus is the key factor for you to consider. There’s nothing worse than recording an over 30 minutes long vlog, only to later discover that you were blurry from halfway around.
The last crucial thing affecting your choice of camera is your budget. We've put our suggestions in different categories to make sure that everyone finds the camera they’re looking for.
Are you also creating other content for YouTube? Then we got you covered with this equipment guide of the best cameras for YouTube.
Get Started with the best cheap vlogging camera
If you’re on a budget, or just looking to get started, there are plenty of great options on the market for you. Here are some of our best picks:
- Action camera – with 5K video resolution for serious detail
- Waterproof – up to 33ft for no limits
- HyperSmooth 3.0 Stabilization – in-camera horizon leveling
- Compact size with grip – for comfort & easy use
- 20.1MP sensor – for superb image quality
- Subject tracking – to keep up with fast subjects
- Incredible 360° Capture – in up to 5.7K resolution
- One-tap cinematic edits – with the inbuilt Shot Lab
- HDR photo and video – for better dynamic range
- Connect your phone for a bigger view – for easier access to settings
- Quick capture – to ensure you never miss the perfect shot
- AI Editor – to automatically combine your clips with transitions and music
- Easy to use – no research is needed
- Versatile and portable – likely already in your pocket
- Decent image quality – some recent phones can rival DSLR quality
Get better with intermediate vlogging cameras
If you’re ready to invest into your vlogs and want better quality cameras, these intermediate vlogging cameras are just for you.
- 1" sensor – easy to shoot video with pleasing bokeh
- Autofocus sensitivity options – perfectly suited for vlogs
- Side-flipping screen – for ease of use
- ISO range from 100-32000 – to film in any light condition
- Phase detection AF – with Real-Time Tracking
- Slow-motion 1080p capture – for a cinematic look
- Super portable design – for your convenience
- 20.1MP sensor – for superb image quality
- USB charging – so you can charge up wherever you are
- 4K resolution – to look your best
- EF-M lens mount – adaptable to EF and EF-s lenses
- Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and NFC – to always stay connected
- Light and small body – for portability
- Weather-sealed body – to film in any condition
- Improved AF – with both face and eye detection modes
Stay pro with the best vlogging cameras on the market
If you’re already established or seeking to rise to the top, these are the very best vlogging cameras on the market in 2021.
- Low light expert – with and ISO range of 80 to 102,400
- Improved image processor – for greater stills and videos
- 12.1 MP Fullframe sensor – for high sensitivity and low noise
- Flat profile – for expert color grading
- Five-axis image stabilization – for smooth handheld footage
- Connect your headphones – for better monitoring
- 4K footage – without crop
- Great in-body stablization – helpful if you're on the move
- Articulating screen – that provides the utmost flexibility
Often a great camera is not enough to get the perfect vlogs you want to create. The following accessories can get you there.
Have it all
- Compact on-camera mic – for the perfect audio
- Ultra light-weight – to not weigh you down
- Integrated shock mounting – isolation from external factors
- wide colour temperature range – from 2700K to 6500K
- more than 360 colours – perfect for beauty vloggers
- built-in wireless remote controller – and touch sliders
- Handheld gimbal – for mobile phones
- Three-axis image stabilization – for smooth shots
- Great battery life – for up to 17 hours
- Bluetooth controlled mini light – via the Lume Cube app
- Lightweight and compact – fits in the palm of your hand
- Adjustable flash – between 1-1/8000 seconds
- Grab-and-go mini extension pole and tripod – take your GoPro with you anywhere
- Pocket-sized – for the vlogger on-the-go
- Versatile – your perfect companion
If you want to explore more options, look into microphones for hire.
If you’re taking your vlogs seriously, you need to find the best camera out there for you. If you want to experiment or avoid the upfront costs, you should consider hiring or subscribing to a camera.