Rent camera gear from local creators.
Action cameras are fantastic for capturing adventures in new and exciting ways. However, your excitement can disappear in the blink of an eye if you choose a poor and uncomfortable mount.
Read on for our picks for 7 of the best mounts for your action camera and get some inspiration for some new and creative models!
Interested in more camera equipment? Look at our page on camera gear for all the know-how you need.
- no risk of it slipping off your head – affordable mount
- comes with QuickClips – to mount on all kinds of objects
- fits most action cams – but not newer models
- 3-way pivot arm – for capturing various angles and movements
- operate hands-free – to film from closer heights
- use with any GoPro HERO – with standard 3-point mounting
- an in-betweener option – for head or chest mount users
- gives a natural POV – but still sits lower than your eye-line
- Not apt for extreme sports – ideal for steady shots
- complete freedom – capture any angle, focus, or direction
- exciting and immersive POV – features 360° rotation
- Waterproof build – ideal for surfing or other water sports
- clicks into any quick-release mount – and includes a bright
- ideal for POV water sports shots – for truly unique footage
- Waterproof body – with a rugged and durable design
- for quality POV shots – and to capture hands-free videos
- full-padded & comfortable – with J-hook for many angles
- Large adjustment scale – for both waist and shoulder straps
7 of the best mounts for your action camera
1. GoPro Head Strap + QuickClip
This mount also handily comes with QuickClips. This means you can mount your camera on other objects, such as a bike, fishing rods, or even your belt.
- Type of mount: Head mount.
- Comes with QuickClips.
- 7.3x6.1x3.9” dimensions.
- Weight: 9.9 ounces.
- Compatibility: This mount is compatible with most action cameras made by GoPro, HERO, and DJI.
- Quick Clips allow you to mount the camera anywhere you wish.
- Very affordable.
- No weather-sealing.
- Not compatible with newer GoPro models.
2. Revo Chest Mount with 3-Way Pivot Arm
This chest mount is ideal for capturing various angles and movements, thanks to its 3-way pivot arm.
You can film from a height closer to what you would get by hand-holding the camera while operating hands-free so you can focus on the action.
This works best for sports action- riding bikes on roads or hiking.
- Type of Mount: Chest mount.
- 7.4x5.5x1.8” dimensions.
- Weight: 8.4 ounces.
- Compatibility: This mount works with any housing or frame for the GoPro HERO model that uses GoPro's standard three-prong mounting system.
- 3-way pivot arms enable plenty of variations in angles.
- Decent build quality.
- One of the pricier mounts here.
3. MegaGear Chest Shoulder Strap Mount
Shoulder mounts are a comfortable in-between option for head or chest mount users.
They provide a more natural POV than a chest harness but still sit lower than your eye-line.
They are ideal for a movement that’s not too intensive- like riding a bike or motorcycle. The MegaGear Shoulder Strap mount has been discontinued, so if you want it, source it secondhand.
- Type of mount: Shoulder strap.
- 5.9x5x3” dimensions.
- Weight: 6.4 ounces.
- Compatibility: This mount is compatible with GoPro, GoPro HD, GoPro Hero3+, HERO4, HERO 5 Black, HERO 6 Black, and Sj4000.
- Very sturdy and durable build.
- Not apt for extreme sports.
- Unable to tighten the harness.
4. GoPro Hand + Wrist Strap
There is a massive amount of freedom in a wrist mount. The ride will be bumpy, but you can capture any angle, focus, or direction.
This makes for an exciting and immersive POV. This one is designed by GoPro, and it features 360° rotation that lets you adjust your capture angle on the fly.
- Type of mount: Hand and wrist strap.
- Adjustable to fit a range of sizes.
- Compatibility: This mount is compatible with GoPro MAX and all HERO models from the 5 sessions to the HERO10.
- Adjustable straps.
- Waterproof- ideal for surfing or other water sports.
- 360° rotation.
- Only compatible with GoPro models.
5. GoPro Bite Mount with Floaty
Bite mounts are intended for a limited scope of activities that require both hands on deck.
Despite its limited use, bite mounts make for some truly unique footage. Having to bite it may inhibit your breathing or tense up your jaw, so don’t use them for prolonged periods.
This GoPro Bite Mount is ideal for POV water sports shots. It clicks into any quick-release mount for swapping or storage and includes a bright floaty for added security in water.
- Type of mount: Bite mount.
- Includes wraparound floaty and a touchscreen interface.
- Comes with an integrated mounting buckle.
- Compatibility: This mount is only compatible with the HERO8 Black.
- Rugged and durable design, meant to last.
- Limited compatibility options.
6. CamKix Chest Mount Harness
This camera mount is an excellent choice for those looking for quality POV action shots.
It comes with some quality features that enable you to capture hands-free action videos, all for a surprisingly affordable price.
The design is full-padded and super comfortable. It also comes with a J-hook to get all kinds of angles while using it.
- Type of mount: Chest mount.
- Its waist strap adjusts from 25” to 67”. The shoulder straps adjust from 18” to 54”.
- 7.4x8.6x2” dimensions.
- Weight: 8.4 ounces.
- Compatibility: This mount is compatible with all GoPro cameras, especially GoPro HERO models.
- Large adjustment scale for both waist and shoulder straps.
- Affordable price.
- Cheap quality.
7. Stuntman STM361
This is a simple-looking and comfortable chest mount strap; designed to accommodate all major action cameras.
The strap has a base plate made of semi-rigid elastomer, which fits snugly and controls camera movement surprisingly smoothly.
It also has a ball-joint design- allowing for a wide variety of angles and movement. It comes with a two-prong adapter, a universal adapter, and a direct mount adapter.
- Type of mount: chest mount.
- 1.5” elastic straps.
- 7x5x3” dimensions.
- Weight: 13 ounces.
- Compatibility: This mount is compatible with most action cameras from GoPro, Sony, HERO, and DJI.
- Very lightweight build.
- Wide and soft straps that won’t dig in while wearing
- Ball-joint design.
- The mount itself is cheap and plasticky.
- The straps aren’t very adjustable.
Rent a body mount for your action cam
Have you got your heart set on a body mount for your action cam?
How do you mount an action camera on your body?
You can get tons of body mounts to attach your camera to your body. For example, a helmet mount, a head strap, a chest mount harness, a backpack mount, a bike mount, a magnetic mount, and a hand or wrist strap.
Do all cameras have the same mount?
No. Each mount can differ in mounting direction, size, flange distance, number, and placement of electronic contacts.
How do you attach a GoPro to your body?
This will depend on the mount you choose- the most common for GoPros are chest harnesses or head straps. GoPro sells mounts made for their cameras, or you can check out this YouTube tutorial to DIY a chest mount from home.